Benjamin Mendy: a footballer remanded in custody for rape | UK News

0

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been remanded in custody after appearing in court on four counts of rape and sexual assault.

The French international defender is charged with offenses against three women, including one under the age of 18, a court said on Friday.

One of the alleged rapes allegedly took place at Mendy’s home in Cheshire this week while he was on bail by police for other sexual offenses, the Chester Magistrate’s Court said.

The other three counts of rape are from October 2020, and the sexual assault is believed to have taken place in January of this year.

Mendy, who was due to be part of the Manchester City squad to face Arsenal on Saturday until charged, will spend at least the bank holiday weekend in custody after a judge denies his request for bail .

He is next to appear in court on September 10, and he could be in custody at least until then, unless his legal team appeals the denial of bail. No appeals will be heard until the start of next week.

Mendy, dressed in a red Balenciaga hoodie and black Adidas jogging pants, remained expressionless with folded arms as the charges were brought to him by the clerk via a French interpreter.

Prosecutor Debbie Byrne said Mendy was initially arrested and released under investigation on November 11 last year on suspicion of rape. In January, he was arrested again on suspicion of sexual assault, the court heard.

Byrne said one of the conditions of Mendy’s bail was that he shouldn’t have house parties. She said police were called to a party attended by up to 21 people at Mendy’s home in the village of Mottram St Andrew in Cheshire this week. He was later arrested on a new rape allegation and for allegedly violating his bail conditions, the court said.

The prosecutor said Mendy had shown reluctance to comply with his bail conditions and that he should be remanded in custody to prevent him from committing further offenses.

She said: “The accused has shown utter contempt and, the Crown will say, arrogance in ignoring the bail conditions and continuing to socialize as he sees fit.”

Mendy was seated next to two judicial officers on the glass platform as his lawyer, Christopher Stables, asked the judge not to place the footballer in pre-trial detention. Stables said Mendy had already been in custody for “two days and two nights” pending Friday’s hearing, and it came as a “real shock” to him.

He said the experience “served as a hard lesson in what can happen if bail conditions are not met”, and if he was released on bail on Friday the footballer would know it was ” in fact his last chance “.

Stables said Mendy was ready to immediately transfer £ 50,000 to court as security if he was released on bail, as well as surrender to “what could best be described as house arrest” with a long curfew and an electronic tag.

The lawyer said Mendy was willing to live in a “much smaller” property owned by an unnamed friend, a “positive influence”, across Manchester.

However, District Judge Jack McGarva said he was not convinced Mendy would not commit further offenses if he was allowed to leave court on bail. Mendy showed no reaction when he was taken to the courthouse cells.

Stables told the court that Mendy’s trial “will be many months away, well into the New Year,” suggesting he could be detained for several months unless a higher-ranking judge overturns the trial. decision Friday.

The full-back has been named a substitute for Manchester City’s last game, against Norwich last Saturday, and has played for his club five times since July. He joined Manchester City from Monaco in 2017 for a fee of £ 52million, which was a record for a defender at the time.


Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.