Prince Albert is not paying Princess Charlene to stay with him

Friends say Prince Albert II of Monaco is not paying Princess Charlene millions of dollars to remain his wife, contrary to reports.

The relationship between the royals is under renewed scrutiny after French magazine Here claimed last week that Albert was paying Charlene 12 million euros ($12.5 million) a year to stay at his sides.

It follows the former Olympic swimmer’s return to the principality after a long illness that included months in her native South Africa, followed by treatment at a clinic in Switzerland.

A source close to Charlene told Page Six exclusively, “Of course she has a generous prenup, but Albert doesn’t have to pay her to stay.

“After being away for so long during her illness, Charlene is so happy to be back with Albert and the children. They spend every weekend at their country house. Albert fully supports Charlene and also helps her in his charities.

Prince Albert II of Monaco watches Princess Charlene on a balcony.
Friends say that while Princess Charlene has a generous prenup, Prince Albert II isn’t paying her to stay with him.
WireImage

The couple plan to pull together by hosting a series of events together to benefit Charlene’s foundation for the iconic Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix on the weekend of May 28-29, Page Six reported.

The Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation helps children from 40 countries learn to swim and participate in sports and educational programs.

Prince Albert II of Monaco, Princess Charlene and their twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques.
Princess Charlene made her first public appearance since her illness in April at the Monaco E-Prix.
WireImage

Page Six exclusively revealed in November 2021 that Charlene, 44, “nearly died” in South Africa after undergoing multiple surgeries and losing a worrying amount of weight.

She fell ill while visiting the country in May 2021 during what was expected to be a 10-day trip. The series of surgeries delayed his return to Monaco until later that year.

Princess Charlene and Prince Albert II of Monaco walking down the aisle at their wedding.
Albert reportedly tried to flee Monaco three times before the couple married in 2011.
Getty Images

Friends said at the time they feared Monaco’s royal family had downplayed the seriousness of Charlene’s condition after Albert, 64, gave an interview claiming she had entered rehab on his return to the principality. He told People his illness was the result of “several factors which are private matters.”

“It’s unfair that she’s portrayed as having some sort of mental or emotional issue,” a source told Us at the time. “We don’t know why the palace is downplaying the fact that she almost died in South Africa.”

The source insisted that Charlene had serious ear, nose and throat infections which resulted in ‘severe sinus and swallowing issues from previous surgery’.

“She hasn’t been able to eat solid food for over six months because of all the surgeries she’s had since then,” the source said. “She was only able to absorb liquids with a straw, so she lost almost half her body weight.”

Prince Albert II of Monaco, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques holding
Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques held up “We miss you mum” signs on the balcony of the Palace in Monaco in November 2021.
AFP via Getty Images

Heartbreakingly, the couple’s 7-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques, held up signs reading ‘We miss you mum’ and ‘We love you mum’ during their appearance at the Monaco Palace to Monaco’s National Day in November.

Charlene returned to Monaco in March after a four-month stay in a Swiss clinic where she was treated for “emotional and physical exhaustion”. She posted a new family photo on Easter.

Prince Albert II of Monaco, Princess Charlene and their twins, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella, in a garden.
Charlene posed with Albert and their twins in April for the first photo since returning to Monaco following a mysterious illness.
hshprincesscharlene/Instagram

The Princess then made her first public appearance earlier this month, attending the Monaco E-Prix with Albert and their twins.

She took part in the trophy presentations after the Formula E race and at one point placed her arms around her daughter in a sweet moment.

Representatives of Monaco Palace did not immediately respond to us.

Comments are closed.