Princess Charlene is ‘ready to go home’, says Prince Albert
The Times reported earlier this week that France, Monaco’s neighbor, is full of rumors about the disappearance of the marriage of the principality’s ruler, Prince Albert, and his Zimbabwean-born wife, Princess Charlene. The newspaper reports that for weeks articles in tabloid magazines and newspapers have speculated that their relationship may fall apart – but now the rumor is gaining weight as respected commentators contribute to the growing chorus.
Against the backdrop of rumors, Prince Albert stands up and said People magazine that Princess Charlene is “impatient” to return home and hopes she can do so sooner than expected. He hit back at reports suggesting marital issues – rather than medical issues – had kept her at bay.
The interview comes as it was just reported that Charlene is in stable condition after being rushed to a hospital on the north coast of KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday evening. She was reportedly admitted under a pseudonym after collapsing in her lodge north of Durban, where she is staying. The Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation announced today: “Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco was rushed to hospital by ambulance on Wednesday evening after collapsing due to complications from a severe infection of the ears, nose and throat which she contracted in May. Her medical team is currently evaluating her but has confirmed that the princess is stable.
Before the news of her hospitalization, Albert told the American publication that her date of return to Monaco “depends on what her doctors say”, and if her progress continues, she could plan her trip as early as this month. âI know she might have said ‘end of October’, but that was before that last round of nominations. I’m pretty sure we can shorten that a bit.
A timeline of the relationship of Princess Charlene and Prince Albert of Monaco
He added: “She is ready – she jokingly said that she was ready to travel clandestinely on a ship back to Europe.” He said her well-being had improved since her last surgery, explaining: “she was in a good mood”. On his recent visit, Albert accompanied his wife on a doctor’s appointment to get “a further reassessment of how things are going.” Albert was accompanied by their six-year-old twins, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques, on the trip.
Prince Albert and Princess Charlene were last seen publicly together in Monaco on January 26. Two months later, Charlene left for South Africa, her home country and where she was a swimming champion before falling in love with Albert at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 – ultimately leading to their marriage a year later. late.
Princess Charlene was only supposed to spend a few weeks there working with her foundation, which has the dual purpose of teaching children to swim and ending the hunt for white rhinos, but she has stayed there ever since.
Speaking to South African radio stations, she spoke of the development of a sinus infection which prompted doctors to ban her from traveling. On August 13, she underwent a four-hour operation which was announced in a press release from the Monegasque royal palace. He said: âPrincess Charlene is going to have an operation today, Friday August 13, for four hours under general anesthesia. Prince Albert and their children, Crown Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella will join her during her recovery period. ‘
Princess Charlene, now absent for three months, has missed the crÃ¨me de la crÃ¨me of royal events in Monaco – like the Grand Prix and Red Cross balls – as well as her 10th wedding anniversary.
The Times writes that Princess Charlene’s version of events has been faithfully reported by the Monegasque media. But StÃ©phane Bern, the highly respected French royal commentator, has doubts. He wrote an article for Paris Match magazine pointing out that with Charlene stuck in South Africa, Albert had allowed Nicole Coste, an air hostess with whom he had an affair, to attend the ball of the Red Cross. Likewise, Alexandre Grimaldi-Coste, the son born of this relationship and one of the two children Albert recognized as a father before his marriage, was there too.
Bern also reportedly said that even before leaving Monaco, Charlene had rarely stayed at the royal palace. She preferred an apartment to a luxury chocolate factory made available to her by Albert’s sister, Princess Caroline. The article went on to say that residents of Monaco were exasperated by his long absences, reluctance to speak French and his often dispirited face at public events. A German glossy magazine, BuntÃ©, also fueled anger in Monaco by claiming that the princess was looking for property in Johannesburg to become her primary residence.
Of course, all of these reports are rumors – none of which are confirmed. As promised in the palace statement, Prince Albert and their twins returned to South Africa to help Princess Charlene in her recovery. Still, the image of the prince and princess reunited sharing a strained embrace only fueled doubts about their marriage even more.
The exact date of Princess Charlene’s return to Monaco is still unknown – one can only guess, meanwhile, speculation is raging.
Subscribe now to get 3 issues of Tatler for just Â£ 1, plus free home delivery and free instant access to digital editions
More from Tatler