Princess Charlene of Monaco avoids public duties, palace cites poor health
Princess Charlene of Monaco will rest for several weeks and avoid public functions, including the principality’s national day celebrations, while she recovers from poor health, the Royal Palace of Monaco announced on Tuesday.
The palace said Charlene, a former Olympian, would be recovering in a secret location and would only resume public duties when her health permitted. “A period of calm and rest is necessary to ensure the best recovery of the health of Princess Charlene,” said the palace.
“After battling ill health over the past few months, the princess is currently recovering and will continue to do so over the next few weeks,” he added. Charlene, who married Prince Monegasque Prince Albert in 2011 in a lavish ceremony, returned to Monaco earlier this month after spending much of the year in her native Africa from South.
His stay in South Africa has sparked speculation about a potential breakup within the royal couple – a claim denied by the family. The palace said the princess needed time to recover from “a state of deep general fatigue”.
Monaco‘s National Day is November 19, although events to mark the celebration begin three days earlier. Prince Albert would maintain his commitment on Tuesday by distributing Red Cross packages to needy people in Monaco without his wife by his side, a palace spokesman told Reuters.
The princess was hospitalized in South Africa in September for treatment for an ear, nose and throat infection that caused her to collapse. Photographs released by the palace upon her return showed Charlene wearing a protective mask, one arm wrapped around her husband and the other wrapped around her children in front of the palace’s white stairs.
South African newspaper News24 quoted Charlene’s sister-in-law and director of the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation on Wednesday as saying the princess was “extremely happy” to be home with her family. Charlene has been struggling with poor health for several months and the palace has announced it will provide an update on her recovery before the Christmas holidays.
“As soon as her health permits, the Princess is delighted to resume her princely functions and to spend time with the Monegasques,” the statement continued. Charlene swam for South Africa at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
(This story was not edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)